Author Topic: Game You Should Check Out: No Man's Sky  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Sar

• Co-Leader
    • Mountain Thunder
Game You Should Check Out: No Man's Sky
« on: August 04, 2016, 05:37:54 pm »
Next Tuesday there's a new space exploration coming out called No Man's Sky.  Whether or not it ends up being a good game, this is an extremely innovative game that breaks far from any games that have existed thus far (much like Clash of Clans was when it came out), and while I personally haven't had a chance to play it, I've heard that demos of the game at video game expos have been stealing the show.  Also, it sounds like Sony has given this game an unprecedented amount of support for an independent title, which seems to indicate their high hopes for it as well.

No Man's Sky is a space exploration game involving you discovering new planets and exploring those planets for resources (including minerals, animals, etc.).  Doing that will allow you to upgrade your equipment, including your ship which will allow you to make further jumps.  One of the huge innovations in the game though is that the developers have been able to design a universe that has around 18 quintillion planets, which means that even if the game had a 10 million players, that would still be trillions of planets for each player, meaning that there will always be plenty to explore (i.e. it will never come close to everything being found).  Beyond that, they use algorithms to make each planet unique, affected by factors such as distance from stars affecting the likelihood of life.

Probably one of the most appealing things about the game is that the designers seem to be one of the most competent I've ever seen.  When you see responses from them, it feels like they've thought of everything in remarkable depth.  The wikipedia article on the game actually has a lot of good information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man%27s_Sky

One of the things that really jumps out is that when they talk about all the stuff they've done, it doesn't even sound like they're highlighting these particular aspects, but rather, it sounds like they're simply answering questions, meaning that it sounds like they've put this level of detail into EVERYTHING in the game.  One example I heard that I found really interesting is the A.I. for animals on planets (note that to promote the exploration aspects, planets with animals are relatively rare, making such planets worth exploring).  They said that to simulate a good A.I., animals spawn with things they like and things they don't like, which provides a much more realistic hunting experience; rather than the random wandering around that most NPC's do, these units have the feel of actually moving with purpose.  Someone even stated that they're designed in such a way that they were once tracking one animal and, while tracking it, actually saw it get eaten by a different animal higher on the food chain.

If the game interests you, be aware it comes out this Tuesday.  As with most games, it's probably more fun to play early, but it doesn't sound like you'll be hurt by being a late starter (there's so many planets that you're not really in a race to find them).  Additionally, I know that Gamestop (perhaps other places) have some promo going where, supposedly, if you pre-order you'll start out with the second tier of ship or engine or something like that (I don't know the exact details, I just heard it's something along the lines of a slightly better ship than the starting one).

Offline tj

• Co-Leader
    • Mountain Creek
Re: Game You Should Check Out: No Man's Sky
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 07:40:37 pm »
I just mentioned the game to my son and he said he's been looking forward to this game coming out. Sounds like fun.

Offline Doten

• -
Re: Game You Should Check Out: No Man's Sky
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 12:41:12 pm »
I just mentioned the game to my son and he said he's been this game coming out. Sounds like fun.

I've been playing it for a while. It gets a bit repetitive.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:29:50 am by Doten »