Author Topic: Mountain Clan Cookbook  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Vel

• Friend
    • Mountain Stream
Re: Mountain Clan Cookbook
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 06:46:41 pm »
Not mine, and I've not made it, but this little recipe is on the top of my list to make one of these days:

From http://tomnichols.net/blog/the-lamb-recipe/
The author is Tom Nichols, a Professor at the US Navy War College, and an excellent follow on Twitter if you like to hear what a strategist thinks of foreign events that involve Russia

The Lamb Recipe
Due to popular demand (and nagging on Twitter), I herewith offer my grandmother’s Greek lamb recipe.

DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THIS, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR COMMON SENSE TELLS YOU. It’s a Greek thing. Just go with it.

I’ll add pictures the next time I make one, but this is what you do:

You need a boneless leg of lamb, about 4-5 lbs. (Note: boneless.) Get one, if you can, that has a nice layer of fat over the top. This will melt off.

Garlic powder (Note: powder, not real garlic.)

Garlic salt

Oregano

Olive Oil

A blue pot.  I use one of these:

1. Make about five evenly spaced incisions, about 3/4 of an inch, and an inch or more deep, evenly spaced in the lamb.

2. Fill those incisions with garlic powder. If you use real garlic, you will create a chemical weapon that will stink your house out and require UN supervision to dispose of. The powder is key because it dissolves in the fat evenly. (That’s what my sainted late mother said, anyway.)

3. Drizzle the leg with olive oil. You can use PAM olive oil spray, or you can use gourmet virgin stuff, but it doesn’t matter. Don’t overdo it: this is just to make the next stuff stick to the lamb.

4. Crust the leg liberally (this is the only time I tell you to do things liberally) with garlic salt.

5. Now shake oregano all over it until it’s fuzzy with oregano, too.

Cover the pot, cook for at least 2.5 hours at 325. (A little longer if it’s bigger, obviously.) It’s almost impossible (ALMOST) to overcook this, but low and slow is the way to go. After the first 90 minutes, you can make the lamb more moist by basting it quickly in its own runoff, but do not drain it, or you’ll dry it out.

Uncover the last 30 minutes. This will give a slight crust to the skin. After 3 hours, it should be falling-apart, eat-with-a-fork tender.

If you want potatoes, throw them in there an hour before you’re done.

Now dance with Zorba.

Offline Cunning bob

• Elder
    • Mountain Thunder
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 07:40:27 am »
After posting my recipe for Southern Quiche I've gotten no requests for more.  So to keep up with that demand here is a recipe I made up that I call Maryland Salty Dog:

1 Philips Maryland Crab cake
1 hoagie or large hot dog roll
spicy mustard
chopped onions

Based on the name I think you can figure out what to do from here.

Offline Vanniek71

• Leader
    • Mountain Creek
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 10:57:54 pm »
Sounds good!

Offline Vanniek71

• Leader
    • Mountain Creek
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 07:43:15 pm »
Forgot to post this for LL - added sugar/gluten free beef jerky

Jerky Recipe

2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup Coconut Aminos
2 tsp of crushed red pepper
2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp liquid smoke (mesquite flavor)

Mix everything up and set aside

Obtain 3-4 lbs of lean(ish) beef and cut in to strips against the grain  (throw meat in freezer for an hour or so and it makes it easier to cut)
Toss all the beef and marinade in to a gallon ziplock. Bleed out all the air and let sit in the fridge for 3-24hrs
Toss on the dehydrator, or in the oven at 125-150 degrees and dry out.

There you have it.

Offline TinkerBelle

• Co-Leader
    • Mountain Creek
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 04:06:12 pm »
This is an awesome idea. We will be able to get recipes from all over the world. I will have to post a good Cajun recipe from Louisiana. I will think about which one would be best :)
Happy Clasher ❣️

Offline Thor

• Leader
    • Mountain Thunder
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 11:51:30 pm »
Let's bring those Cajun recipes I'm truly interested in seeing some.

Offline TinkerBelle

• Co-Leader
    • Mountain Creek
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 09:11:22 am »
It's very hard to post a Cajun recipe that I have no recipe, lol. I just "do it" .

Very, very easy crayfish or shrimp etoufee.
Pronounced - eh too fay

1 lb. packaged crayfish or shrimp. Or fresh. More if you like a lot of meat.
2 to 4 cups pic sweet frozen onion mixture. I use 4 cups. (Or) dice 2 large onions and 1 stalk celery, and 1/2 a bell pepper if you like.
1 family size can cream of mushroom soup
1 large can diced tomatoes or 3 fresh chopped tomatoes, medium to large
Or if you like it hot use a can of Rotel tomatoes (or) add just add some jalapeños to tomatoes
1/2 stick of butter or healthier use olive oil
Tony's seasoning to taste, I use 3 shakes, lol. Or just salt, pepper and garlic to taste.
You can use fresh garlic if you like it better

Sauté veggies in butter or oil until wilted (not the tomatoes)
Add tomatoes, either the fresh or canned
Add soup
Add seasoning
Add shrimp or crayfish
Let it come to a slow boil, immediately decrease fire to low and simmer for 20 minutes

Cook white or even brown rice, instant or regular long grain.
Cook some nice garlic French bread
And salad of choice

Top rice with cooked Etoufee!
Enjoy!

This is the easy version but it is just as good as the old fashioned version.
Let me know how you like it:)

Happy Clasher ❣️

Offline TinkerBelle

• Co-Leader
    • Mountain Creek
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 10:16:45 am »
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Or If you want seafood Gumbo use shrimp, crab and sausage.

Best way to start is to put a whole chicken in a roaster, cover halfway with water, add a large diced onion (I use 2) and Tony Chachere seasoning ,about 1 tablespoon, cover and bake in oven until done. Usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours. This makes the best chicken broth! Much better than boiling on top of stove. Or, you can buy a large rotissere chicken and use canned chicken broth if you are in a hurry.

Dice 1 large onion
       1 green bell pepper
       1 red bell pepper
       1 cup chopped celery
Put aside until roux is cooked.

The base to gumbo is the roux. Roux is just flour and oil cooked in a skillet until brown.
You can buy roux in a jar made by Tony Chachere that tastes like homemade or...make your own....

I use an iron skillet. I put about 1/2 a cup of oil in skillet and add about 1 cup of plain flour. If too thick and sticky add more oil, you want it to be soupy while browning. The secret to a good roux is the color. Needs to be medium to dark brown without burning it. I mix oil and flour and immediately start stirring with a wooden spoon over a medium to high heat. Stir until your arm feels like it's going to fall off, lol. Turn heat down if it gets too hot too fast. Stir and cook until it's a nice dark brown color. When the roux is dark enough turn off the fire and add all the diced vegetables and stir and let sit in the hot roux until the roux cools a bit. It will wilt the veggies.

I use a large stock pot , 8 to 12 quart depending on amount I am cooking.
Add the chicken broth from your cooked chicken. Place cooked chicken in a pan to cool.
Let simmer on top of stove while you prepare other ingredients .

Add your roux with veggies to your chicken stock. Use a whisk to stir it so it's not lumpy. Continue to simmer on low.
Add fresh or powdered garlic, 1/2 tsp powder or 2 cloves fresh
Season with more Tony's or salt and pepper to taste. Remember you put seasoning in chicken broth when baking chicken. If you don't like garlic don't use it.

Cut 1 pound of sausage of choice into small thin rounds. Andouille sausage is good. Use link sausage.
Debone your chicken.
Add meat to pot of roux mixture
Let simmer on medium to low heat
If after 20 to 30 minutes your gumbo is too thick , add 1/2 cup of water, cook 5 minutes and taste. Some people like a thin gumbo, some like it thick. I like it in between, or just right! Lol
Simmer gumbo on low heat for about 45 minutes. If you are worried about the fat content, cut off the heat after it is cooked, let sit for about 30 minutes and skim the fat off the top. Or, you can cook the gumbo the day before you serve it and after it cools put it in fridge. Before heating to serve, skim off the cooled fat. It's easier.

Cook white rice
French bread
Salad of choice

Serve gumbo over the rice.

This is a great winter meal. I freeze leftovers in 2 cups per freezer bag. Cut off the freezer bag put frozen gumbo in a saucepan with about 1/2 cup of water and cook on low heat until thawed and ready to eat. I even freeze leftover rice.

Hope you enjoy! Let me know ! 😊

Happy Clasher ❣️

Offline TinkerBelle

• Co-Leader
    • Mountain Creek
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 10:57:35 am »
Chicken Stock Used For Base In Many Dishes
You can also use beef bones. I go to a local butcher that I know he has grain fed, no antibiotic or steroid beef and buy bags of bones.

Bake a whole chicken (organic chicken only) in oven covered halfway with water. Add 1 tablespoon Tony Chachere seasoning and 1 large chopped onion, and fresh garlic, 2 to 3 pods. Bake covered in oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours.

Take out and put chicken in pan to cool. After it cools debone. Use this chicken for any dish you desire.

Take broth from cooked chicken and the deboned carcass and put in a crockpot. If using beef bones just cover in plain water with onions and seasoning. Cook for 24 hours, the beef bones may take longer if they are large. The bones will be extremely soft. Take a large spoon or a fork and mash the bones into the broth. Take a strainer and use a big soup server spoon and strain the crushed bone, broth mixture into a large bowl. When cool not cold, put in freezer bags 2 cups per bag. This chicken or beef base is extremely healthy. You can use it for:
Be sure your chicken or the beef bones are organic or you will get bad stuff from the bones.

By adding more water to the base, usually 2 = 3 cups...

Homemade chicken noodle soup
Use in place of water when cooking rice for a savory rice
Add to dry beans with the extra water for delicious beans
Any recipe that calls for chicken broth or beef broth
Soups and Stews of any kind
Any recipe that calls for water that this will enrich the flavor of the dish.

I use it in almost every dish I cook.

The crushed cooked bones contain:

Anti-inflammatory and gut healing proteins
Healthy fats
50% protein by volume
Great for arthritis and athletes in training
Paleo diets

Try it, you will be amazed.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:05:27 am by TinkerBelle »
Happy Clasher ❣️